Saturday, July 30, 2011

Video From Courtney King-Dye On Wearing a Helmet

Here is a video  by Courtney King-Dye, who was the Olympic level dressage rider who suffered a devastating brain injury 16 months ago when the horse she was riding tripped and fell.  She was not wearing a helmet at the time.  Watch the whole thing - it's very moving.  Two things she said really stuck in my mind:
  • Expect the unexpected.
  • Safety has nothing to do with skill level.  
Any rider can fall, at any time, riding any horse, even when not doing anything risky.  Wear a helmet - every time - it could save your life or save you from a devastating brain injury.  I was wearing a helmet when I had my accident 7 weeks ago - the helmet was badly damaged and I believe saved me from being more severely injured.  Don't make excuses - just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment