Thursday, July 21, 2011

And So On . . .

Yesterday the heat index made it up to 115F.  The horses did fine in the barn under their fans, although it was certainly hot in there.  I gave them another hose off at around 5 p.m. At around 9 p.m. when they went out, the heat index was still in the 90s but the sun was down and there was a breeze, so even Pie was OK - I checked on him later before I went to bed.

The humidity is already oppressive this morning, and I expect I'll bring them in before 8 a.m. for another day under fans.  Pie is out grazing with the gelding herd again for a couple of hours, and when I turned him out Fritz and Scout went over to him and grazed with him.  Fritz did one little squeal but that was all.  When I put Drift in after he ate his breakfast in the barn, he went right up to Pie and sniffed noses.  There was no squealing, and Pie just took a step away from Drift and then they were grazing right next to each other.

Today the heat index is supposed to get to 105, but then we're supposed to get some relief this evening.  Here's hoping . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment